Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Ms Sopracciglio



This is an
excerpt from the novel "Brideshead Revisited" by Evelyn Waugh:
It made me laugh, I am enjoying this book...

I knew Sebastian by sight long before I met him. That was unavoidable for, from his first week, he was the most conspicuous man of his year by reason of his beauty, which was arresting, and his eccentricities of behaviour, which seemed to know no bounds. My first sight of him was in the door of Germer's, and, on that occasion, I was struck less by his looks than by the fact that he was carrying a large teddy-bear.
"That, said the barber, as I took his chair, 'was Lord Sebastian Flyte. A most amusing young gentleman."
'Apparently,' I said coldly.
'The Marquis of Marchmain's second boy. His brother, the Earl of Brideshead, went down last term. Now he was very different, a very quiet gentleman, quite like an old man. What do you suppose Lord Sebastian wanted? A hair brush for his teddy-bear; it had to have very stiff bristles, not, Lord Sebastian said, to brush him with, but to threaten him with a spanking when he was sulky. He bought a very nice one with an ivory back and he's having "Aloysius" engraved on it- that's the bear's name.'

"That which has been is what will be,
That which is done
is what will be done,
And there is nothing new under the sun."
Ecclesiastes 1:8


No comments: